Trash, Recyclables, Yard Waste & Bulk Trash
For Current Trash and Recycling Program Details:
>> Cecil County Public Works – Solid Waste Management
>> Cecil County – Household Hazardous Waste Day – April 24, 2022 (pdf)
>> Cecil County – Single Stream Recycling (pdf)
>> Charlestown Guidelines for Trash & Single Stream Recycling (pdf)
- Trash will be picked up by the trash/recyclables contractor (GFL) beginning at 5 am every Monday, so it is best to have your trash can by the curb the night before. If it is a recognized holiday, you will have pick up on the next weekday. Please note trash and recycling are hauled in two separate trucks, so it may be picked up at a different times.
- Recycling is not mandatory but highly encouraged.
- Recyclables will be picked up by the trash/recyclables contractor (GFL) beginning at 5 am every Monday, so it is best to have your recycle can by the curb the night before. If it is a recognized holiday, you will have pick up on the next weekday. Please note trash and recycling are hauled in two separate trucks, so it may be picked up at a different times.
- Containers must be prominently marked with a recycling logo on the side of the container, or with the word “Recyclables”. Stickers are available at Town Hall free of charge.
- Recycle containers should have lids and should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
- OKAY to Recycle:
- Plastics and glass bottles and jars, aluminum cans, newspaper, and cardboard are some of the things that can be recycled.
- NOT OKAY to Recycle:
- Plastic bags containing recyclables are NO LONGER acceptable and will not be picked up.
- Plastic bags of any kind and cardboard from freezer food, or items soiled by food, may not be recycled.
- Styrofoam and packing peanuts are not recyclable except at the Landfill.
Yard Waste will be picked up by Town maintenance staff beginning at 7am on the second (2nd) and fourth (4th) Mondays of the month, or on Tuesday, if Monday is a holiday. It is not necessary to make an appointment for yard waste to be collected, but if you have any questions, please contact Town Hall at (410) 287-6173 or via email at email@example.com.
Yard waste must meet the following criteria:
- All yard waste must be placed outside by 7am on the scheduled pickup day, but should not be placed outside more than 24-48 hours prior.
- If using a trash can to hold yard waste, the can must have a lid — having a lid keeps rain water out on rainy days, thus keeping the cans from becoming too heavy to pick up.
- OKAY for collection:
- Grass clippings and leaves must be contained in paper bags or open containers.
- Branches, small limbs, vines, etc., must be cut into pieces not to exceed (4) four feet in length or larger than (3) inches in diameter. Cecil County Landfill will not take limbs of this size. They do not need to be in a paper bag; bundles are okay.
- Christmas trees are picked up by the Town on Yard Waste days in January. Please see the Pick-Up Schedule for dates.
- NOT OKAY for collection:
- Trash mixed with yard waste
- Yard waste bags or containers that way more than 50lbs
- Yard waste wrapped in a tarp
Bulk Trash will be picked up by Town maintenance staff once a month as listed below. If a holiday falls on either day, bulk pickup will be rescheduled accordingly and advertised as such on our homepage. Bulk items will not be removed without an appointment. To schedule a pickup, please contact Town Hall at 410-287-6173 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm the day before your scheduled pickup, or you can use our *new* Bulk Trash Collection Form.
- Wednesday – Historic Charlestown and Charlestown Manor
- Thursday – Trinity Woods, Cool Springs and Scott Gardens
- 2022 Bulk Trash Pickup Schedule PDF
Bulk items must meet the following criteria:
- All items must be placed outside by 7am on the scheduled pickup day, but should not be placed outside more than 24 hours prior.
- OKAY for collection:
- furniture, appliances (refrigerator doors must be removed), mattresses, toys, (2) two tires (without rims) per collection day, and carpet (must be cut into pieces no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet.
- NOT OKAY for collection:
- Construction debris (drywall, lumber, shingles, doors, windows, etc.), medical waste, propane tanks, car parts, and chemicals. These can be taken to the Cecil County Landfill.
Where and when do I put out the trash and recyclables?
Set your trash and/or recyclables at the curb side or roadside the night before pickup or prior to 5am on Mondays. If you have a fenced yard, you need to place everything outside the fence.
How will they know the difference between trash and recyclables?
For recyclables, use a trash can or other container clearly marked “recyclables”. Town Hall provides free stickers for recycle containers.
What if they do not pick up my trash and/or recyclables?
Check the schedule to be sure that the item(s) were put out on the correct day prior to 5AM. If so, call Town Hall and they will ensure that it is not missed the following week. The Town has now implemented a specific pick up route so they will only be going around Town one time each week.